Decipher initially began as an agtech platform designed to help farmers and agronomists change the way they manage crop nutrition and help them start their precision agriculture journey. But they’ve come a long way since then. Born within Wesfarmers, Decipher is a Software-as-a-Service company delivering award-winning cloud solutions that help drive sustainability, productivity, and improvements across mining, tailings storage facilities, waste management, and agriculture.
Decipher recently hosted a webinar, The Investor Mining, and Tailings Safety Initiative: What’s Next?
Hear from one of the driving forces behind the Global Tailings database and learn about:
- The Mining and Tailings Safety Initiative (insights, key findings, what’s coming, and how to prepare for the next round of questions)
- The upcoming global tailings standards
- Best practices and recommendations
- Available reporting and monitoring tools
What is the Investor Mining and Tailings Safety Initiative?
Following the recent tailings dam failures, The Investor Mining and Tailings Safety Initiative was established by a group of institutional investors active in the extractive industries representing more than $13.1 trillion in assets under management. Governed through a Steering Committee chaired by the Church of England Pensions Board and the Swedish Council of Ethics of the AP Funds, the group has called upon 727 extractive mining companies to disclose information in relation to their tailings storage facilities to form an online database.
How many companies have disclosed information about their TSFs?
As of the 20th of December 2019, 46 percent of companies contacted responded to the request. 40 of the top 50 mining companies have made disclosures which have resulted in information about thousands of individual tailings dams being made public on company websites. All 23 of 23 publicly owned companies that are members of the International Council on Mining & Metals (ICMM) responded and fully disclosed information about their TSFs.
How many tailings dams have had stability issues?
Company disclosures to investors have revealed that 10% (166 out of 1,635) of the tailings dams reported having had stability issues in their history.
What tailings reporting and monitoring tools are available?
Using Decipher, you can start to organize and store your tailings storage facility data in the one place, making it easier to prepare for the next round of Church of England reports:
– Easily visualize all of your sites and simply click on the dams to see all of the relevant data and reports
– Reduce confusion, human error, and inefficiencies in reporting by providing internal stakeholders with a central repository of data on your tailings facilities
– Access key data and information from multiple departments to take a holistic approach to your tailings reporting and monitoring
– Reduce the time spent and associated costs preparing reports by creating templates which extract relevant information in a particular format, such as the Church of England report
– Decipher is designed to be securely accessed by industry, regulators, designers, and operators involved in the management of TSFs. Easily set up security access levels to ensure stakeholders only see the information that is relevant to them, and apply business rules, approval layers and track changes to ensure data is correct
– A Single Sign-On (SSO) integration also ensures that users are managed more easily