In Europe, we are accustomed to seeing track-mounted boom lifts in Scandinavian countries due to their harsh and snowy environment. But, recognizing that tracked booms also are ideal for other challenging types of terrain, rental company Sofranel, based in Wambrechies, in the Hauts de France region in the North of France, has added the first Genie tracked boom present in France to its fleet.
The machine was sold by EMM, Authorised Genie Distributor (sales, service and spare parts), based in Cappelle-la-Grande, near Dunkirk, Northern France.
Sofranel is a construction and lifting equipment rental company whose managers have a pragmatic vision of the way in which they build their fleet. Positioning themselves in niche markets, the machines they provide are adapted to meet their customers’ specific needs.
For example, among the 11 Genie machines in Sofranel’s fleet are a Genie Z-45 XC boom lift, Genie GS scissor lifts offering working heights from 19 ft 7 in to 32 ft 8 in (6 to 10 m), and a Genie GTH- 2506 telehandler. They also own a Genie Z-60 FE hybrid articulating boom, which is in demand for specialized work applications like landscaping, tree pruning or for urban construction sites.
Sofranel discovered the Genie Z-62/40 TraX boom and its patented TraX system, which features four independent triangular rubber tracks at each corner of the machine, on the Genie stand at Bauma, Munich, more than two years ago. For EMM, acquiring this machine provided the opportunity to offer a model adapted to the needs of particularly challenging jobsites. In addition to its ability to work efficiently in the toughest conditions, other key features that make this unit extremely productive and versatile include:
• A max working height of 67 ft 11 in (20.87 m), max horizontal outreach of 40 ft 9 in (12.42 m), a max up-and-over clearance of 25 ft 7 in (7.8 m), and a max lift capacity of 500 lb (227 kg).
• Full-time active oscillating axle system to maintain traction on rough terrain.
• True 4WD and 45% gradeability.
• Fully proportional controls.
• Articulating boom with dual parallelogram system to keep parallel to walls during elevation, thus reducing the need to reposition the machine.
• Articulating 5 ft (1.52 m) jib with 135° vertical rotation for ultra-precise positioning of workers and materials.
• Genie Fast Mast system to descend and retrieve materials and return to working height quickly.
Since its acquisition, the Genie Z-62/40 TraX track-mounted boom lift has been in high demand for jobs that have included work on sandy terrain, at demolition sites with metal framework to be dismantled, and tasks on industrial buildings.
Sofranel works directly with Emmanuel and Carole Pirot, Managing Directors, EMM, who carry out the rental company’s maintenance and repairs. Sofranel and its customers also benefit from the support of Emmanuel Mouillière, Genie Sales Manager for the west of France and overseas departments and territories (DOM-TOM), to provide them with the solutions and support that their business relies on.
When Sofranel sought to expand its niche offerings, the company looked to the colour blue because of their experiences with the quality and simplicity of use of Genie machines, their oscillating axles that make work for operators comfortable, and the easy, direct relationship with both EMM and the manufacturer, according to Didier Descamps, Managing Director, Sofranel.